WHAT IS SHELTERBOX BOOK CLUB?
Introducing ShelterBox Book Club – a unique community membership designed for Australians who share the love of a quality read.
Each member can vote on the next book – a shortlist of 3 books carefully selected by our Head Bookworm, who is always on the lookout for compelling stories from around the world and strong characters with depth.
Join the ShelterBox Book Club community today with a monthly payment to ShelterBox, and you can look forward to diving your eyes into a new, exciting book every 6 weeks. Read along at your own pace and join the discussion online, via our private Facebook group.
And with every story you read, you’ll be transforming the lives of disaster-hit families around the world.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It couldn’t be easier to join ShelterBox Book Club and start your membership. Here’s how it all works:
- Join today with a monthly payment – we recommend at least $10 to support our work around the world
- Receive a welcome email from our Head Bookworm
- Join our Facebook group where you will get to vote on the next shortlist of 3 books – chosen by our Head Bookworm
- Purchase your copy of the winning book, or borrow a copy from a friend or your local library.
- Read along at your own pace – whenever suits you best.
- Take part in the online discussions held on our Book Club Facebook Group – no spoilers!
- Receive regular news and updates on how your membership is helping the lives of disaster-hit families.
WHAT OUR BOOK CLUB MEMBERS SAY
CHANGE LIVES WITH EVERY PAGE
ShelterBox is no ordinary charity. We believe that every family has the right to a shelter they can call home. No ifs. No buts.
Join our extraordinary Book Club today and you’ll be helping reach even more families hit by disaster or emergency.
In 2018 alone, thanks to our supporters we helped over 210,000 people all over the world affected by conflict and natural disasters. See how we’ve helped people recover.
Your support will help provide vital ShelterBoxes and ShelterKits with emergency essentials, like tents, water filters and solar lights. Find out more about our aid.
Whenever disaster strikes – whether it’s a hurricane, floods or severe drought – your love of a good book will help create real-life stories with a happier ending.
Give the gift of a Book Club Subscription
Give a ShelterBox Australia Book Club subscription
People are at the heart of everything we do at ShelterBox and it’s the same for our Book Club. Here’s what your loved one will receive once you purchase their 12-month subscription.
- A copy of ‘2020 Vision – Eyes Wide Open in the Disaster Zone’ (a lavishly illustrated photo book, featuring images of resilience and hope from ShelterBox deployments from around the world
- A welcome bookmark so they never lose their place
- A greetings card with your personal message (we’ll email to get details)
- The chance to vote on a shortlist of 3 books every six weeks
- Source their own copy of the winning book (buy, borrow, download)
- The chance to take part in online discussions and exclusive experiences including Q&As with the authors
- Insights into the lives of real people being helped thanks to the membership
- We email you to get the details of the person you are buying for
Frequently Asked Questions
WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SHELTERBOX BOOK CLUB? HAVE A LOOK AT THE TOP QUESTIONS THAT WE ARE OFTEN ASKED.Open all
We read stories from all over the world, opening our eyes to new cultures and experiences.
We read all sorts of books – modern literary fiction, auto-biographical books – but the twist that makes ShelterBox Book Club unique is that we choose the books because we are inspired by the people who’ve been helped through ShelterBox’s disaster relief work.
The chance to vote on a carefully selected shortlist every six weeks.
An online discussion via our private Facebook group where you can share your views with fellow members.
Regular news and updates from Head Bookworm, including insights into the lives of real people who are being helped thanks to your membership.
Hopefully this won’t happen. But if it does, you could reread the book along with us, or just share your insights as our members make their way through the read.
Our team is on hand to answer any questions you may have about our Book Club. Just email [email protected] and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Supporting Australian book shops
When it comes to purchasing your ShelterBox book club read, we encourage our members to buy from local and Australian bookshops where possible.
Thanks to the good people at The Book Room Collective in Byron, all ShelterBox book club readers can benefit from 15% off our chosen books, as well as a flat handling and postage cost of $7.95 for all shipped orders within Australia. Click here to purchase a book through The Book Room Collective.
Do you know of another local book shop that would like to support our club with a special discount?